Best Indoor Putting Greens of 2024
How We Tested
We recommend these products based on an intensive research process that's designed to cut through the noise and find the top products for golfers. Guided by experts, we spend hours looking into the factors that matter, to bring you these selections.
Why Trust Tour Grade
Tour Grade spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing, and testing products to recommend the best picks for golfers. We only make money if you purchase a product through our links, and all opinions about the products are our own.
11 mats considered
100+ putts rolled
28 hours researched
Putting mats are an essential tool for golfers who want to improve their skills without leaving the comfort of their home or office. In this guide, we'll cover the key factors you should consider when choosing the best putting mat for you, including material quality, speed, and features.
Find The Right Speed (Stimpmeter rating) For You
A standard green typically has a stimpmeter rating between 8 and 12, with 10 being the most common. For putting mats, a stimpmeter rating of 9-10 is recommended for a realistic experience that mirrors the feel of an actual putting green. This ensures that you can develop a proper feel for distance and control, which translates to better performance on the course. A putting mat with a lower stimpmeter rating will roll slower, which may not provide a realistic experience depending on the course you play at, while a mat with a higher rating will roll faster and may be more challenging to use. Consider your skill level and course when selecting a putting mat with the right stimpmeter rating for you.
Mat Durability Will Save You Time And Money
Finally, it’s important to choose a putting mat that is durable and built to last. The mat should be able to withstand regular use without showing any signs of wear and tear, such as creases or cracks. Look for mats made from high-quality turf, that are designed to simulate the texture and firmness of real greens. It’s also a good idea to read reviews and check the warranty before making a purchase, to ensure that the mat will hold up over time. Investing in a durable putting mat will save you time and money in the long run, as you won’t need to replace it as often. Reading customer reviews is a great way to determine how a mat has held up over time.
Ease of Set-Up Can Impact the Ball's Roll
It's important to look for a mat that lays perfectly flat right out of the box, without any creases or bends that could impact the ball's roll. Some mats require additional weights or accessories to hold them down, which can be a hassle and add to the setup time. To ensure the most convenient setup experience, look for a mat that lays flat without any additional weights needed. As you can see below, creases and edges that don’t lay flat are not uncommon.
Why Buy a Putting Mat
Putting accounts for 40% of a golfer's strokes in a given round, regardless of their handicap, making it one of the most important aspects of the game. Thinking of buying a putting mat? Here’s why we think all golfers need one:
- Putting mats save time and money by eliminating the need to travel to a practice facility or pay for greens fees.
- Consistent practice is key to improving putting skills, and a putting mat allows golfers to practice their stroke and develop muscle memory conveniently at home.
- Regular practice with a putting mat has been shown to significantly improve accuracy and distance control.
- A putting mat is a one-time investment that can provide the same level of improvement as a new putter or lessons, but at a lower cost.
- Putting mats can be a fun and social way to enjoy time with friends and family or to introduce kids to the game of golf.
PrimePutt Tour-Quality Indoor Putting Mat
- Made of turf and offers a realistic putting experience, identical to a golf green
- Access to a free swing analysis from a PGA Professional to help golfers lower their scores quickly
- Durable mat that is wear-resistant to rolling putts, foot traffic, and pets
- De-risk your purchase with the company’s 60 day money back guarantee
- Mat lays perfectly flat immediately out of the box, with no creases or bends
- Works both indoor and outdoor
- Rolls true on any surface, including carpet and tile
- Has distance markers to practice different putting lengths
- Easy to set-up and store
- Comes in multiple sizes
- No ball return
- No alignment lines
- Close to a true roll with a speed similar to most greens
- Light and easy to move around
- Multiple stimpmeter speeds available
- Quick assembly
- Rubber bumpers
- Good for practicing longer puts
- Foam material is not very durable
- No ball return
- No alignment lines
- Cups were shallow
- Pins are easily knocked over
The Birdie Ball putting mat is a solid option for golfers who want a portable, affordable putting surface. The foam material provides a consistent ball roll, and being able to select multiple stimpmeter speeds when you order is a great way to customize to your playing conditions.
#3: PUTT-A-BOUT Par Three Putting Green
- Simple set up
- Easy to pack up and store
- No alignment markers, ball return, cups with pins, or backstops
- Made of cheap material
- Would have been nice to have varied cup sized
The Putt-a-Bout putting mat is a budget-friendly option that is great for those new to golf or looking for a low-cost putting option. It does not come in various sizes or stimpmeter speeds.
#4: Big Moss Golf
- Having smaller holes for practicing precision was a nice touch
- Fairly durable and looks good
- Can easily add breaks to the green
- The backstop was pretty flimsy and attached with long tees
- Speed was slow
- Low quality cups
- High shipping costs ($50)
Shipping costs $50 for basic shipping, which added more to the price. It's definitely not as good overall as the PrimePutt Putting Mat, and rolls less true than the BirdieBall indoor green, but if you practiced on this one for a few weeks and got creative with the break pads, you'd see some improvements on the course.
#5: Perfect Practice
- Sleek compact design
- Ball return gives you more practice puts in less time
- Two hole sizes for sharpening your putting
- Carpet like material gives a bumpy and inconsistent roll
- Never laid fully flat
- Ball return comes apart easily
The Practice Perfect putting mat is a good option for golfers who want an affordable, compact putting surface. The carpet material unrolls easily and the alignment aids can be helpful for improving your stroke.
Tour Grade Expert Putting Tips
Maximize your putting mat practice and improve your scores with these Tour Grade expert tips:
- Practice with intention. Instead of randomly putting, set specific goals and drills to develop proper muscle memory
- Vary your distance and direction. To replicate different putting scenarios, challenge yourself by mixing it up.
- Adjust the speed. Putting mats may roll fastest on hard subfloors like wood or concrete, but varying the surface can help improve your distance control and overall game.
- Monitor your progress. As you notice your scores improve, you'll become more motivated to practice. By tracking your progress, you can identify areas of opportunity and celebrate your accomplishments.
Why We Chose the PrimePutt Putting Green
After extensive testing and evaluation, we believe the PrimePutt putting mat is the best option for serious golfers looking to improve their short game. Its high-quality turf offers a realistic putting experience. In addition, with a stimpmeter rating of 10, the PrimePutt putting mat provides an authentic green feel that simulates actual golf course conditions. This is a great investment for any golfer. Plus, the company offers a 60 day money back guarantee to de-risk your purchase.