Putting is a crucial aspect of golf, accounting for up to 40% of your total score. A good putting technique can make all the difference between a birdie and a bogey. In this article, we'll explore some of the best putting techniques to help you improve your game and lower your scores.
- Alignment: Proper alignment is crucial for accurate putting. Stand behind the ball and visualize a line from the ball to the hole, then align your feet, hips, and shoulders parallel to that line.
- Grip: The grip should be firm but relaxed, with both hands working together to control the putter. Experiment with different grips to find the one that feels most comfortable for you.
- Posture: A good putting posture is essential for consistency. Stand tall with your eyes directly over the ball, and maintain a slight bend in your knees and hips.
- Stroke: The stroke should be smooth and pendulum-like, with minimal wrist action. The backswing and follow-through should be equal in length, with the putter face square to the target at impact.
- Distance Control: Distance control is key for making longer putts. Practice your distance control by hitting putts to different lengths and getting a feel for the speed of the green.
Mastering the art of putting takes time and practice, but by incorporating these techniques into your game, you can improve your accuracy and consistency on the green. Experiment with different grips, postures, and strokes to find what works best for you, and don't forget to practice your distance control. With dedication and persistence, you can become a skilled putter and take your golf game to the next level.